Re: Mouse pointer appearance problem

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Mouse pointer appearance problem
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:17:10 +0200

Hi all,

Another but related issue is the hour glass known from Windows or Mac
that gives the user visual feedabck of the main thread doing something
time consuming. Under GNUstep we don't have that (right?) which lets
the user think the application hangs if it does not react for 5 or more
seconds. What had to be done to realize a hour glass for GNustep?

Probably you need a plugin for your X server (or window manager) that
changes the cursor if there are no regular requests coming from a
client that owns a window (at least this appears the mechanism to be
on the Mac). The issue is that a hanging application can't acitvely
change the cursor if it hangs...

Thanks! Yes, that's probably how it has to work. I am just wondering whether "hour glass" is such an advanced feature that only Mac, NeXTstep and Windows have it. I must admit that I never really worked with Non-GNUstep apps on Solaris/Linux/... so I have no idea whether this feature (hour glass) simply does not exist in the unix world (Solaris, Linux,...) or if it only does not work in a GNUstep/Window Maker environment. I almost believe/fear this is a general issue on Solaris, Linux,... Can anybody confirm that hour glass is available, e.g. in a KDE environment?

Thanks,

  Andreas