Re: Linking setup with gnustep-make 2.0.1 on Solaris

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Linking setup with gnustep-make 2.0.1 on Solaris
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:08:54 +0100

On 12 Jun 2007, at 14:45, Fabian Groffen wrote:

On 12-06-2007 15:38:01 +0200, Patrick Georgi wrote:
My question now is what the correct usage of gnustep-make is: GNUstep.sh or GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES? In the latter case, I'd like to add an additional -R for
every -L, but I'd need some pointers for where to make this change.

We [1] use some experimental -rpath (-R) support for Linux (and Solaris),
which seems to work fine so far, thereby eliminating the dreaded
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.  A problem here unfortunately is on Darwin.
The library install_names are set to the library only, not their full
path. I haven't had time to look into this yet, but I really would like
to get GNUstep linking using run path/install names.

I'm not sure why the GNUstep developers chose for this approach.  I'd
like to know if the GNUstep developers have an interest for changing
this or not.

Use of -R is generally considered a really bad idea for any software where you don't tightly control the deployment environment, because it hard-codes filesystem locations into the binary, and the libraries you want to use may well not be in the same location on the target machine that they are in on the build machine. So -R generally only makes sense for people who are packaging distributions where the location of everything is fixed.

That being said, it would be nice to have an option in gnustep-make to let people (who are targeting a very specific setup) turn on the use of -R without having to modify their makefiles.
eg. 'make relocatable=no'