Re: Simple Web Kit vs. WebKit

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Simple Web Kit vs. WebKit
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:34:20 -0500

Has there been any discussions regarding the use of Apple's WebKit on GNUStep?

Yes -- there have been many discussions about it. For one of the more recent examples, check this page for references to SimpleWebKit:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2007-03/threads.html

I've looked at the WebKit code, albeit not too deeply, but from what I can tell, there is little or no use of Carbon. The majority is in C++, and the lower level classes are just C++ wrappers around
Cocoa objects (with Objective C++).

I hear that with 3.0 the code has been cleaned up quite a bit (no doubt to allow for the port of Safari to Windows, and it's use in Nokia's browser and Adobe's AIR platform). Regardless of the fact that we now have SimpleWebKit, it would still be nice to see WebKit ported to GNUstep, as it is a mature product with many more developers, with lots of "in-the-wild" testing, and with big corporate backing.

J.