Re: NSWorkspace launchApplication problem

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: NSWorkspace launchApplication problem
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:36:51 -0700

On 8/13/07, Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> since I encountered focus problems with GNUstep I did some tests:
>
> • I added a menu item "Test" to Finder.app and implemented the
> corresponding method as follows:
>
> - (void)test:(id)sender
> {
>     BOOL result = [[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace]
> launchApplication:@"SOObjectBrowser"];
>     NSLog(@"result %d", result);
> }
>
> •I start Finder.app (SOObjectBroswer is not yet running) and click on
> the test menu item. SOObjectBrowser.app is started as expected and the
> menu (EtoileMenuServer) gets updated correctly.
>
> • I click on a Finder window. Nothing happens. Menu still shows
> SOObjectBrowser. That's wrong!!!
>
> •I click on a Terminal.app window. EtoileMenuServer gets  updated with
> Terminal.
>
> •I click on a Finder window. EtoileMenuServer shows Finder.
>
> • I click on the test menu item again. "result 1" is logged but nothing
> happens. EtoileMenuServer still shows Finder while it should have
> switched to SOObjectBrowser.
>
> Any idea what we can do about that? This is indeed a show stopper (not
> very stable)! :-)

  This is a focus issue as I mentioned before
  and will take effort to fix in Azalea.
  Long time ago, GNUstep and WindowMaker are patched to work together on focus.
  The result is that GNUstep follows the WindowMaker's focus model,
which may be slightly different from other window manager.
  So I believe it will work better with WindowMaker if it is all you
want to have.

  Yen-Ju