Re: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:23:21 -0700 (PDT)

Nikolaus,

> Yes, they are integrated, but I would not agree that they are *well*
> integrated. I can imagine a lot of areas where integration could be
> better.
I'm wondering if you could elaborate on that a little.

> And it is the basic question: should PC and GORM follow what Apple is
> doing or try to go a different - potentially better way?

PC and Gorm should stay the way they are, because this is the better way.
Each tool has a specific purpose.  I'm a big believer in the "doing one job
well" philosophy.  A monolithic IDE like Eclipse for GNUstep doesn't appeal to
me.

> Xcode got so complex because it even includes a Class browser and a
> Data Entity relationship modeler (a graphical tool!) for defining the
> CoreData models. I have really no clue why Apple decided to integrate
> that into Xcode and not IB or vice versa...

Yes, as you said, it got complex.   I, personally, believe that including the
data modeler and the class modeler/browser into Xcode was a mistake.   If those
are done for GNUstep, and they probably will be at some point, I don't believe
that they should be part of PC, but that they should be separate applications.

> You can also open Source code files in Xcode without having a
> project. So, why should it not be possible to open NIB files without
> a project?

I don't really count this as a feature of any kind.   I think it's sad that
you're starting up an app which has a class modeler, a data modeler, project
management code and tons of other things... just to read a source file.   So we
now have a 10MB application in memory to read a source file... doesn't seem
like a big win to me.

> Hm - while I like this idea of doing things differently - I always
> hear that fragmentation and duplication of efforts is not so good...

Linking with and reusing GormLib doesn't imply any sort of "duplication of
effort."   This is why it's called "reuse." :)

> And the basic question that is driving me into this discussion is not
> answered: how can we attract new users and developers?
> IMHO one puzzle piece is by starting to develop better concepts than
> there are today (e.g. from Apple).

Different != better.

The plain and simple truth is

1) GNUstep needs more applications
2) GNUstep needs to look better....

That is how we are going to attract developers.

Regards, Greg

--
Gregory Casamento## GNUstep Chief Maintainer/Gorm Maintainer