Re: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:59:45 +0100

On 12 Sep 2007, at 17:45, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

Am 12.09.2007 um 18:16 schrieb Wolfgang Lux:

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

That works only if your class has just IBOutlets (IB is not showing and handling any other ivars!). And any changes made manually to the .h file are overwritten.

On my system (OS X 10.4) IB asks whether I want to replace the existing files or merge the changes, and if I choose the latter it happily invokes FileMerge for both the header and the source file. Obviously, this means that we need an equivalent of FileMerge in order to get this to work under GNUstep :-(

Yes, it also works this way.

If you are asked three times per hour by the development environment to replace or merge and then a third (!) application opens where you have to click around, you will probably start looking for simpler solutions...

What I still do not understand is why almost all arguments against my proposal finally end up like (well I am making it quite black&white):

"It is already good how it is solved (because it comes from NextStep). Well, Xcode/IP have now something that is missing in GNUstep/PC/GORM. So we just have to add the missing things, i.e. some DO between PC and GORM and FileMerge to interact between both and everything is fine."

I guess that's because most people think that separate apps integrated via DO and distributed notifications will provide a better user experience than a monolithic application that does everything. My favorite example of the app that does everything is microsoft word ... which I find utterly unusable. You either live with a huge amount of clutter in toolbars and menus, or you customise it to the point where it's completely non-standard, and you can't effectively use anyone elses customised version.

I am sure, there are better (from a user's point of view) solutions than copying Xcode/IB...

I guess so (I'm not too keen on Xcode) ... but I don't think a monolithic app is one of them. I would prefer to go the other way ... more small apps tailored to their specific jobs, and integrating with each other. Technically, I think that well defined interfaces between apps using DO/notifications are no harder to program than well defined interfaces between modules in the same app ... and you need such modularisation for maintainability in any large project whether its multiple apps or multiple modules in one app.