RE: New ProjectCenter Icons

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: New ProjectCenter Icons
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:29:39 -0700

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> I would prefer ... more small apps tailored to their specific jobs,
and integrating
> and integrating with each other.  Technically, I think that well
defined interfaces
> between apps using DO/notifications are no harder to program than
> well defined interfaces between modules.

Agree 100% !

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Looks like I have become used very much to web based applications
where the App (browser)
> remains the same and I switch the content (which can be quite
different).

I like it too.

I think, you (we) can combine both approaches: different applications
that communicate
with each other and all _appear_ in the same window.

One way to do it (I guess) is to create a "supershell" that would
embed/swallow components.
A component is a kind of editor - text, or other. A component is a
separate app that knows
it might be swallowed and knows how to communicate with the supershell.
Directory view or project view can be components.

A component launches another one via supershell: it asks the supershell
to launch a tool
for a URL, supershell launches and embeds it.

Then, in my mind, those supershells can be docked together. After that
one supershell
might ask its sister to launch a component. So you create something that
looks like
a multi-view app like lego, dynamically.

These are ideas of my own ideal environment.

--Tima