Re: A few things that have been on my mind...

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: A few things that have been on my mind...
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:41:43 +0200

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
> I defer to Adam and Fred respectively on those two questions.    Adam
> was involved in SoC and Fred is currently working on the Cairo backend.

Now that Greg wants me to reply on this, I have to :-)

I don't remember any discussion about the font system of the cairo
backend. There was a mail exchange on the benefits and drawbacks of
nfonts and direct freetype usage. But if there was any change suggested
at all, it was to switch the art backend to direct freetype calls. I am
totally neutral on the whole subject. If somebody comes up with code for
any of these changes, I will integrate it into GNUstep as a switchable
option. For now things will stay as they are. art will use nfonts and
cairo freetype directly.

Cheers,
Fred