Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 00:28:33 +0100

Hi Gregory,

Another thing is that there is significant demand from a number of companies to get the Windows port in better shape. I know that a lot of us use Linux, UNIX and so on and moan about getting GNUstep working well on Windows. But there is a lot of interest there and I would hate to waste it. While I hate to see GNUstep used ONLY as a way to get existing Mac sp

I would like to add one comment here: A year or two ago I too was looking for GNUstep on Windows to have a deployment opportunity for GNUstep apps in companies with Windows desktops. However, since we know Sun Secure Global Desktop this is no longer an issue. Business applications should run on reliable systems anyway and Windows is definitely none. SSGD now allows to display the business application (running on a reliable Solaris box ) on a Windows desktop or Mac, Linux, ... thus filling the gab and allowing us to deploy unix apps to the windows world. Yes, the windows PC is reduced to an ultra thin client in this scenario, but hey ... The next step for an enterprise customer could/should be to replace the windows desktops with Sun Rays (they don't have, but they pobably want to after thinking it over). And there we are!

Since the availability of SSGD, GNUstep for Windows is irrelevant (at least in the business application area) IMHO. I recommend to concentrate on GNUstep/Etoile cooperation (focus problems,... --> Azalea based desktop), fixing bugs in NSTableView (scrolling), implementing NSDrawer, providing a usable PDF Viewer with printing support and a working mail application,... instead! The killer apps mentioned in this thread will follow very quickly after releasing a usable and stable GNUstep-based desktop.

Regards,

  Andreas