Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:46:33 +0000

On 11 Nov 2007, at 18:39, Nicolas Roard wrote:

Let's be blunt: I don't care if GNUstep choose to have a new UI theme
by default,
although I really, really think it should. And it's not like you
wouldn't be able to switch back to the NeXT theme if you want.

I started writing a long reply to Tomaž, but I think Nicolas has captured most of what I was saying quite eloquently. The question of a 'default' theme is not really up to GNUstep either; it should be something that is up to packagers. It should be easy for someone packaging GNUstep for a distribution to pick the theme that fits best with their own brand. If you want the old look, fine, use that.

Note that this is already possible; a packager can always grab Camaelon from Étoilé and add a Camaelon package to their GNUstep metapackage, but there is no information on the GNUstep site about doing this and so most people don't. There are no screenshots on the GNUstep site using other themes either and so the fact that GNUstep is capable of a more modern look is not something that most people are aware of.

David