Re: GNUstep theming (was Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in L

From: Renaud Molla
Subject: Re: GNUstep theming (was Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:55:56 +0100

Dear All,

To begin with, I'd like to say that this mail contains what some might consider being criticism. This is true. Criticism is not welcome but is necessary. This is the base of science, this is the base of marketing.

But all I want is GNUstep (and actually OpenStep) to come back to the place it deserves: being #1. Because OpenStep clearly is what Java was made from, and when you see all the fuss about C#, what does C# offer that OpenStep didn't offer for a long time? So bear in mind that I'm not undermining the project, and I know that this a lot of work, GNUstep is great project, but could be made even greater.

        It all reminds me of the scrollbar position topic of a year ago.
        And we are exactly at the same point.
When you say that people interested about GNUstep won't care about a new UI, this is definitely wrong.

First of all myself. I'm a Cocoa developer and I've been interested in GNUstep even before I turned to Mac OS X. And I completely dropped GNUstep (really sad) because of the look and the feel that is
        in many points different from today UI standards (eg: scroll position).
I know that the UI can be customized with camaelon, still this is something that rather takes some time to do.

Second, a friend of mine (who started the open source OpenFootball project), needed an interface to do motion capture. It turned to wxWidgets although I advocated GNUstep and even considered developping the UI. But why wasn't it retained? Because for him, GNUstep is too hard to install, as a feel he doesn't understand, and it looks terrible.
        And this guy is no newbie.

        And there are loads of them.

So all I wish is that when developers consider a multiplatform environnment, that GNUstep is not phased out for its look & feel, and I wished it was retained.

Regards.