Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?

From: Mark Grice
Subject: Re: So, honestly, is GNUStep a viable development option?
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:13:28 -0500

Thanks for the replies. It was a relief to wake up this morning and
see that the mailing list is active, I sent an email to the Etoille
list days ago (a lot less flammatory, btw) and still have not seen any
reply. So maybe at least part of my tone came from frustration.

A couple of things, but let me start with this one:

The WMAKER link I described is more than a misconception, I think.  It
happens when following the tutorial for Project Center and Gorm! Let
me tell you what I did, and you tell me what I did wrong... (I am
working in UBUNTU Gnome 7.10)

Following the tutorial script: I run Project Center. Create a new
project. Click on "Interfaces" and then double click on the
Convertor.gorm file... and I find myself staring at a WindowMaker
screen that is pretty much non functional. I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL and
log off my session to get control back.

This tells me that I cannot really run GNUStep in Gnome. Things
function as the tutorial says they will if I run them in Window Maker.

I assumed that this was expected behavior, since the GNUStep home page
pretty much tells you to use Window Maker... so I didn't want to call
it a bug. If it is a bug, I will be happy to enter it as such...