Re: GNUstep slogan - discussion and voting

From: Renaud Molla
Subject: Re: GNUstep slogan - discussion and voting
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:55:54 +0100

Frankly, of all the slogan that have been proposed, all were sounding like creepy engineer seminars captions, as some stated it sounds microsoft-like, that is, words that are supposed to please a majority of people, but don't mean anything. Microsoft reaches the mass and wanna be seen as cool but wants to appear a profitable solutions to businesses, and they've always been on the "no fun" side of computing. It's just the same with sun, sgi et al, they want to appear serious, because their potential customers are not kidding.

If you don't want your message to sound hollow, I think it should be interpreted by the reader. Because by telling people what they should do or what to think may be limitative.
"make you users smile" : i may not want to make someone smile.
If ever someone was to make a gnustep based emergency monitor, do you think they'd like the users think "the interface is so great, it's delightful" On the other hand if I want to make them smile I'll simply think "of course I want to make them smile, this is stupid".
So in both cases, -1 for gnustep.

To sum up my thoughts, all captions telling me what to do, what to think, how to feel are to be discarded because they'll always sound "Microsoft".
If something's that good, users will find themselves all the benefits.
We should suggest a feeling that would attract curiosity.
A simple "hello" is so positive.

Regards.