Re: GSWeb/GDL2 Status

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GSWeb/GDL2 Status
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:52:13 +0100 (CET)

> Eg something I consider more "duplicate efforts" is libSQLClient
> because this is already covered by the GDL1 *and* GDL2 adaptor level

Yes ... but it's also nice to have different packages for different types of
users. ;-)

I suppose if you want to remove duplication, at this point why not re-base GDL
on SQLClient :-)

SQLClient provides an SQL library (like JDBC).  It's got a nice simple API
precisely designed to let you pipe SQL statements to a database and read
results. :-)

GDL provides a full object-to-relational-database framework, which is much more
interesting in many ways, and has a much richer set of concepts and tools.  But
if you don't want any of them, ie, you don't want models, you don't want
controls,
you don't want associations or EOInterface etc ... then well why use GDL ?  The
interface to pipe SQL into the database is not as clean and simple as the
SQLClient
one, because it's not designed around that concept (in fact, the authors
probably
despise even the idea that you might be want to write SQL code directly). ;-)

Thanks