Re: GSWeb/GDL2 Status

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GSWeb/GDL2 Status
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 06:31:26 +0100 (CET)

Hi Helge,

I appreciate your points, which are good.  I agree that there is some code
duplication between SQLClient and GDL2, but I think you're exaggerating it ;-)

An "adaptor" is around 1k lines of code, spent wrapping the underlying C
library calls in Objective-C calls and converting to/from the C/database types
to/from the Objective-C ones.  A few hours (or days) of work. :-)

And it's good for GNUstep to have two separate frameworks available:

 * SQLClient, the simple standard SQL-only database access framework (equiv. to
JDBC)

 * GDL2, a rich object-to-RDBMS mapping framework compatible with the
WebObjects stuff

That gives more choices to people, and it's helpful to have the SQL one
well-tested,
documented and "finished".  It can't but be an asset. ;-)

I hope we'll get good progress in the richer frameworks as well, so they
get used more widely.  Btw, I suppose we may get more choices in the future (as
David
is suggesting, why not).

Finally, I don't agree that it would have been easier to create the SQL-only
framework by separating the "adaptor" layer from GDL2.  If you really want to
share the adaptor codes, we could still write a GDL2 adaptor that uses SQLClient
to connect to the database (might need a few extensions to SQLClient, but
should be doable, and not difficult).  At this stage SQLClient seems to have
more "adaptors" than GDL2, so a general-purpose SQLClient-based adaptor for
GDL2 would help it support mode databases. ;-)

Thanks