Re: trying to debug problems with NSAutoreleasepool

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: trying to debug problems with NSAutoreleasepool
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:11:52 +0000

On 2007-11-28 19:45:40 +0000 "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia@l00-bugdead-prods.de> wrote:

Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> wrote:
On 2007-11-27 16:40:36 +0000 "Sebastian Reitenbach" 1<sebastia@l00-bugdead-prods.de> wrote:

At least at ten places in opengroupware I commented out a [pool > release]; or > equivalent, to prevent these crashers. > As I doubt, that commenting out these lines, is the right solution,
Almost certainly not ... that probably introduces a big memory leak.

Most likely you have a problem with objects being released more times than they are retained.

You can call [NSObject enableDoubleReleaseCheck: YES]; to turn on some checking for this ... but it will slow down your code quite a bit.
I added that enableDoubleReleaseCheck directly in the method, after the allocation of the NSAutoreleasepool, but that ended in an exception. Where would be the correct place to enable that?

It needs to be enabled before the creation of any object which might be in the autorelease pool causing a crash. Unless you have a really clear knwledge of the object lifetimes involved, that probably means you should do it right at the start of your program in the main() function.

You can set the environment variable NSZombieEnabled to YES ... which will give you diagnostics about any attempt to use a deallocated object, but will use lots of memory. You can also set NSDeallocateZombies to YES to avoid leaking memory as zombie objects, but this will give you less informative and less reliable (the memory from a deallocated object could have been re-used as another object) logging.
I set these environment variables, and also started the ogo-webui-1.1 -NSDebugEnabled YES -NSZombieEnabled YES -NSDeallocateZombies YES -WOUseWatchDog NO
I searched a bit around, and found this:
http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/message/cocoa/2003/9/14/87250
I also explicitly #include <Foundation/NSDebug.h>

but I did not observed any changes? What should I expect to see with these enabled?

Well, NSDebugEnabled should do nothing as far as I recall it's not an option GNUstep uses.

NSZombieEnabled=YES should turn on zombies ... so deallocated objects remain allocated and you get a report printed when anything tries to send a message to them.

NSDeallocateZombies=YES stops the zombie objects remaining allocated, so you probably want NSDeallocateZombies=NO

Including Foundation/NSDebug.h does nothing unless you change your code to use the functions and macros declared in it.