Re: half way easy - installing GNUstep using gnustep-startup-0.19.0.tar.

From: Fabian Groffen
Subject: Re: half way easy - installing GNUstep using gnustep-startup-0.19.0.tar.gz on a Mac
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 09:46:10 +0100

On 01-12-2007 01:40:15 +0100, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
[snip useful information]
> Conclusion:
>
> Installing GNUstep using gnustep-startup is quite easy and straight forward
> given that the target system already has the dependencies installed. This
> might be the case for a great many of Linux systems (although I ran across
> several Linuxes that came with a gcc missing ObjC support (I remember SuSE
> 7.1 PPC here) it is definitely not the case for OS X - which is where a
> fair amount of our current target audience (read: folks we don't need to
> explain OpenStep/Cocoa to) sits.
> Installing all those dependencies might be a no-brainer for a seasoned UNIX
> crack but is nearly incomprehensible for a newbee.
> The major obstacle was clearly gcc itself (although the installation of it
> is now easier than it used to be): The right version of the sources it not
> easy to find, it takes ages to install and it will conflict (in OS X's
> case) with Apple's gcc.
>
> Maybe those issues are solvable when installing at least the dependencies
> using the packaging/ports system for the particular platform. Then again it
> would be great if GNUstep itself was also available at those
> packaging/ports systems (It is at least available for macports - even
> though I don't know it's current status of maintenance.)

I never got GNUstep to compile/work on OSX, and most probably you told
me why, because I always use gcc-apple, not the FSF one.  However, that
still does not address the linking issues...  It is great to know that
it actually /can/ work on OSX!

Slightly off topic:

A problem we/I have with maintaining GNUstep at Gentoo is that it seems
there are a lot of commits in the svn repository, but releases are not
so frequent.  Maintaining them for Gentoo/Alt:Prefix is even worse as I
am just in bad luck with getting it to compile/run correctly for Linux,
Solaris and OSX.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level