Re: Differences between Gnu-step and Cocoa

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Differences between Gnu-step and Cocoa
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:10:42 +0100

David Chisnall wrote:
> - Reading nib files on GNUstep is still somewhat hit and miss.  Some
> things work perfectly, some fail weirdly.  If you are encountering
> strange bugs, try redrawing your nibs in gorm.

This is the only point, where I have to diverge from Davids great
answer. Redoing your NIB files is of course an option, but first you
should report the differences you find in NIB loading and try to help to
resolve them. I am currently in the process of loading some rather
complex NIB files myself and found that the missing bits tend to be very
small, but hard to spot.
For most of the AppKit classes the NIB loading in GNUstep is already
surprisingly good. We just need to iron out the few missing bits.
This doesn't mean that you wont have to redo your interface in Gorm, to
make it look better in GNUstep due to different sizing of controls
(which is the next level to resolve). At least you be able to start with
a complete window and just resize things.

Fred