Re: Memory usage of GNUstep processes

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: Memory usage of GNUstep processes
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:17:17 +0100

On Dec 14, 2007, at 4:55 PM, Andreas Höschler wrote:
Shouldn't the process return memory to the operation system so that we see decreased figures in prstat? I am seeing this on Solaris 10. I have no idea whether this is Solaris or GNustep related or a general memory management issue under Unix operating systems.

If your application is multi-threaded, I'd blame Solaris for it, because memory allocation pretty much sucks due to the fact that malloc keeps a single stack, even when MT'd-- unless you explicitly link against a malloc library that supports MT.

--
Chris