Re: GNUstep Windows Installer

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep Windows Installer
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:45:46 +0100

Adam Fedor wrote:
> I've updated the Windows installer.  Now the system and depend
> installers are combined into one.  So you only need to install two
> installers to get GNUstep working.
>
> http://www.gnustep.org/experience/Windows.html
>
> I also added a Gorm.app installer.  I'll get more as I have time
> (suggestions?).  It's also easy to create your own installers - I've
> added a nsis.make file to gnustep-make to automatically create
> installers for applications (unfortunately it's currently only in SVN,
> not in any release and not in the Windows installation).

I know, I am a bit late to comment on this, but I only got round to test
the new installer the day before.

The installer itself works perfectly. It is only when downloading
GNUstep from SVN and trying to compile that when the trouble starts. As
I don't see this as an too unusual step, we should try to smooth this out.

make:
The Readme.MINGW file and the GNUstep on Windows Wiki page
(http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Installation_on_Windows) suggest to
use ./configure --with-layout=fhs, but you seem to have used ./configure
--prefix=/GNUstep. I don't mind either of them, but we should be
consistent. Otherwise people end up with two GNUstep installations.

base:
It looks like the xml2-config script in the mingw/bin directory is not
set up correctly. Changing its first variable to point to the real
directory (I think it was just /mingw) solves the problem.

gui:
Here a problem with the type boolean that gets defined in two imported
header files needs to be resolved. I worked around this by hacking in a
#define boolean JPEG_BOOL into the libjpeg.h file.

After all that I still have problem starting up an application. This is
caused by gui not finding the backend. I expect that this is caused by
some unusual language settings (German) on my computer. At least this is
the only hint I get from GNUstep. I report back on that issue as soon as
I find out more.