Re: Window flickering (Was: Question on mini windows)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Window flickering (Was: Question on mini windows)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:14:48 +0000

On 2008-01-10 22:15:31 +0100 Sas(o Kiselkov <skiselkov@gmail.com>
wrote:

It used to work on gnustep-gui-0.11 without any problem. Also, when I

I can confirm that. gui-0.12 worked for me as well.

run an app in my X environment, it start spawning a window a large
number of times over and over again (basically, it appears as a small
window flickering) for about two seconds. After that the app starts
up normally. Any subsequent app launching (of either the same app or
different ones) doesn't cause the flickering anymore. Any
This I have seen as well, but i occurs in -gui-0.12, too. I think
it is somehow related to Étoilé as I watched this flicker appear
the first time after installing Étoilé.

No, it isn't Etoile. This is the test used by GNUstep to find out about the window borders. The idea here is to check all combination of border
settings once and to store the resulting window borders for these. The
values get cached on the root window, that is why you see it only for
one GNUstep applications. This wont be needed in the future, when more
and more window manager will adopt the new _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS
protocol. The code for this is already in GNUstep, just try it once with
Gnome.

I patched my version of GNUstep to draw the flickering windows off the screen and suffered no ill effects.

David