Re: FOSDEM 2008

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2008
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:34:17 +0100

hns@computer.org wrote:
> On 11 Jan., 00:09, Helge Hess <helge.h...@opengroupware.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> whats the status on FOSDEM? Did people already book flights and
>> hotels?
>
> I haven't either. Should do so... I am still undecided to go by car
> (can better transport some interesting and useful hardware for the
> stand) or by flight (faster, maybe cheaper).

Same here. I am waiting for Gregory to confirm his participation.
Without a proper GNUstep developer room it wont be worthwhile for me to
show up otherwise. I spend most of last years FOSDEM sitting behind our
stall and found this rather boring. What GNUstep needs most is
collaboration and discussion between developers. Attracting more users
is also important, but for me this is only the next step. And without a
proper live CD to hand out, how should we attract users?

Is anybody working on a live CD? If so, what components will it include?
With Camaelon not working on current GNUstep it will be hard to have a
setup showing a complete set of current applications.

>> Is a GNUstep dev meeting planned on Friday? Who is coming? :-)
>
> There had been some small circle discussing that a little. The main
> problem is to find a meeting location in Brussels on Friday until
> Saturday before FOSDEM opens. If you have ideas, please help to
> organize something.

Couldn't we just meet in a bigger hotel room or, if some of us are
staying in the same hotel, use the hotel lobby? It wont be the same as
AlpenStep, where it was possible to hack together for half night, still
it should be ok for talks and discussions.

Fred