Notifying applications

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Notifying applications
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:05:11 +0100

Hi all,

I have a special problem. A foreign non-GNUstep application (actually Star Office) is currently been modified to call a script whenever a user saves a file. I would like to use this to trigger an action in a GNUstep application (grab the Star Office file from the temporary directory and store it in a database).

The question is, how can a script (GNUstep tool) send a notification to a GNUstep application? I used tcp sockets so far for IPC but this does not seem to be appropriate in this case. Any ideas?

Thanks,

   Andreas