LLVM

From: David Chisnall
Subject: LLVM
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:40:16 +0000

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who don't follow the LLVM lists (presumably almost everyone), I thought I'd mention that I've started working on code generation for clang. I think this is important for the future of GNUstep since Apple are likely to switch to switch to using clang/llvm instead of GCC in the relatively near future (they use LLVM for shaders and clang for syntax highlighting in XCode 3).

If anyone else is interested in helping out, let me know. I plan on getting the GNU runtime working first, then my runtime (which was designed with LLVM in mind, and can do some shiny optimisations I shamelessly stole from the Self team).

If not, then hopefully there will be some builds for people to start testing soon.

One issue has arisen, however. The GNU libobjc is GPL'd and has an exemption, however this only applies to code compiled with GCC. Does anyone know if we could persuade the FSF to either change it to LGPL, or generalise the exemption to allow other compilers? (My runtime is BSDL, so this does not arise)

David