Re: LLVM

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:11:54 -0800 (PST)

All,

I've been looking into this issue recently too.  Apple, apparently, has GPLv3
issues with further contributions to gcc.  Until those are resolved, if they
ever are.   It seems like we have two options:

1) port what has already been done on ObjC2.0 from the apple branch to the
latest branch and update the GNU runtime OR
2) seriously start looking into LLVM support for GNUstep.

Both are interesting options, but #2 has the advantage of tracking more closely
with Apple's changes since they will be directly involved.

I will talk to the GCC maintainers and/or RMS regarding libobjc's license, but
I'm not sure I hold out much hope of it being changed because at the time the
library was written the LGPL existed and I'm presuming it was done this way for
a reason.

Sincerely, GJC
--
Gregory Casamento -- Principal Consultant - OLC, Inc
# GNUstep Chief Maintainer