Re: LLVM

From: Andrew Pinski
Subject: Re: LLVM
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:15:59 -0800

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Daniel J Farrell
<daniel.farrell@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
>  I am interested in the points you raised?
>
>  1) Why did Apple not think that GCC in good for the long run in your
>  opinion?

Because they did not see a short term benefit at all and the place is
run by middle/upper management when it comes to day to day decisions.
Note I worked at Apple as an intern so I have first hand experience.

>  2) Why do you say Apple is making a mistake making their own compiler
>  from GCC? Is it because you want them to add all of there modified
>  code back into the GCC project? Don't they have to do this anyway
>  under GPL?

If Apple actually got involved in GCC, how they are involved with
LLVM, then Apple would be still with GCC.  The problem is that Apple's
employees did not understand how to handle a free software community
(and in my opinion, they still don't).
Maybe I am just bitter because Apple messed up their customers instead
of helping them with respect of GCC, oh and this whole PPC vs x86
thing too.

-- Pinski