Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 17:09:30 -0700 (PDT)

Richard Frith-Macdonald-2 wrote:

> On 19 May 2008, at 17:46, Rubens_Septimus wrote:
>

>> Wolfgang Lux wrote:

>>> For that reason I have got accustomed to using the slightly more
>>> complicated
>>>
>>>   sudo make install DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH"   (on OS
>>> X)
>>>   sudo make install LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"       (other
>>> platforms)
>>>
>>> Wolfgang

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am about to rebuild all cleanly applying your method :
>> sudo make install LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
>> Because I could build something with sudo and others with sudo -s,
>> but with
>> many warnings and really can't get nothing finally working well
>> together :
>> GWorkspace freeze, GNUMail preferences don't show, and so on.  Maybe
>> bundles
>> or libraries are not correctly linked. Don't know. I wonder I should
>> use
>> GNUstep svn and not startup...
>>
>> See you all later; after a rebuild them all... :working:
>
> I think Nicola gave the correct advice ...
> Do 'make' as yourself (ie a non-root user),  then do 'make install' as
> root.
> That way there should be no need for messing about setting environment
> variables.

Well, I enabled root account :
sudo passwd -u root
sudo passwd root

Then, I could build things without errors. An example of script
(Affiche.app) :

#!/bin/sh

VERSION_AFFICHE=0.6.0

cd SOURCE

wget
http://www.collaboration-world.com/cgi-bin/project/download.cgi/Affiche-$VERSION_AFFICHE.tar.gz?rid=52
mv Affiche-$VERSION_AFFICHE.tar.gz?rid=52 Affiche-$VERSION_AFFICHE.tar.gz
tar zxvf Affiche-$VERSION_AFFICHE.tar.gz
cd Affiche
make

su - -p -c ". /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh && make
GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install"
cd ../..

Now every app seems compiling without errors. But GNUMail is still buggy
without prefs...