Re: Q's about GNUstep (-make & -base)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Q's about GNUstep (-make & -base)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:55:11 +0100

On 12 Jun 2008, at 16:56, David Chisnall wrote:

Fast enumeration requires the collection to implement a method for getting the next 16 values and putting them in a buffer allocated in the caller's stack frame. This is very easy to implement in GNUstep, although I don't know if anyone's bothered.

Nobody has ... but as you say it's really easy.

I've not checked whether GCC will emit them when targeting the GNU runtime or not.

If it does, I guess we should/must implement support for it in the collections in GNUstep-base. Though to be honest I think the language would be better off without this feature (and without properties) ... in the few cases where performance at this kind of level matters, there are already other approaches you can take without changing the language, and keeping the language simple is a virtue.