Redirecting standard output to a file

From: Michael Hopkins
Subject: Redirecting standard output to a file
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:15:48 +0100

Hi all

I have a question about using the classes in base to redirect standard output to a file without too much hassle or re-writing of code. I have classes that print themselves to standard output like this:

        [ someObject show ];

..but would like to be able to redirect this behaviour within code and possibly in response to user input. Something like...

        [ outputFile appendedWith:[ someObject show ]];

I suspect that NSPipe and/or NSFileHandle might be involved but welcome any tips.

TIA

Michael

   Hopkins Research      Touch the Future