Re: Suitability for production code?

From: Saso Kiselkov
Subject: Re: Suitability for production code?
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:56:15 +0200

As long as we're talking about Foundation, I can say with confidence
that it is 100% bullet proof. I'm using it for all sorts of things at my
own company (an ISP), some examples being:

- a distributed SQL-backed web-based network monitoring and management
system capable of monitoring the availability of thousands of network
devices in real-time with reaction times in units of seconds. Currently
the system is in production use to monitor a network of approx. 2000
routers, switches and other IP devices. The graphical modeler is done in
GNUstep's AppKit, but has its quirks on non-POSIX platforms (on *nix it
blends in quite well, including a self-contained binary distribution
package usable on most Linux machines out-of-the-box).

- a high-performance multi-threaded IPTV streaming server capable of
DVB/network MPEG stream remultiplexing and dumping EPG data into an SQL
database on-the-fly. As we speak, it's running on 5 servers streaming
approx. 100 channels of live TV.

- various other jobs I just needed to write a custom daemon program for.
I've never had any trouble with GNUstep in this area and it's an
enormous time saver (when compared to plain C) and resource conserver
(when compared to Java).

Regards
--
Saso