Re: GNUstep on FreeBSD problems

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep on FreeBSD problems
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:56:58 +0200

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Wolfgang Lux wrote:
>>> thank you for this detailed report. I tried to resolve the
>>> inconsistency you found between the visual used by the window and the
>>> one expected by the art backend. Could you please give my updated code
>>> a try and report back, whether this helps.
>> thanks for the fix. It did almost work, but I had to apply one
>> additional patch because the libart backend was still passing images
>> with depth 24 rather than the expected 32 bits to XPutImage. The patch
>> is attached below.
>>

> Thank you for this addition. I will need some more time to think about
> that. In XWindowBuffer the default visual gets used a lot, maybe we need
> to adjust that as well. Why not get that actual used visual for that
> screen?
> Another question is why art gets the bits per pixel not from the visual,
> but from an image. And why isn't that value passed on to the
> XWindowBuffer? artcontext_setup_draw_info could use the handed in bpp
> value to set that value in the selected draw_info.
>
> I really need to understand all of this in more detail. But most likely
> this will have to wait until after my upcoming holiday. (I will be away
> for the next two weeks)

Despite all the clever things I wrote above I just tried your patch and
it horribly fails on my machine. I get lots of "X-Windows error -
BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)" messages all coming from
[XWindowBuffer windowBufferForWindow:depthInfo:]. Looks like Alexander
did what he did on purpose and if we want to change it, we must be much
carefuller then this.

Most likely the problem goes away, when we change XWindowBuffer to not
use the default screen and visual for the display. Maybe i would just be
enough to use xrContextForScreen: in that class?

Fred