Re: Windows as a reference platform (was Re: GNUStep on Windows)

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Windows as a reference platform (was Re: GNUStep on Windows)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 17:17:17 +0200

We should stay realistic here and keep up the distinction between what
we want to achieve and what we already have.

Base on Windows works very well and should be usable in commercial
applications. GUI itself should be mostly alright, although NSWorkspace
may need some more tweaking. But Back on MS Windows is still limited
compared to X. This is especially true for all the image operations. I
improved some of them in my recent patches, but more complex operations
still fail for me. It is possible to write fully working GNUstep GUI
applications for MS Windows, but you need to be careful to avoid certain
functionality. To a lesser degree the same is true for our drawing code
for other platforms as well, but it should be a lot easier to run into a
problem on MS Windows then it is with the xlib or cairo backend.

Fred