Re: Cocotron used for a real-world app

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Cocotron used for a real-world app
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:09:09 +0000

There's no reason any company porting to Windows should ever choose Cocotron over us. We're more complete.
If we had the ability to integrate with Xcode, as Cocotron does

If I were a developer developing a Cocoa application on Xcode, and wanting to port it to Windows and/or GNU/Linux/Solaris/*BSD, I don't think I would cross-compile. ;-)

I would rather:

1. install [...]
2. install [...]
3. install [...]
4. add a [...]
5. copy [...]
6. move [...]
7. watch [...]
8. run [...]

Yes. Your cross-compiling buddy will be done by the time your virtual machine asks for the installation disk.

Possibly. But then they will need to install a virtual machine anyway to test the Windows port ... and copy the results of the build to the VM ... and then run it ... and to make a change, they need to go back to Xcode ... rebuild ... copy the results of the build to the Windows VM ... then go in the VM and run it ... can't see much difference with the native GNUstep approach I outlined - the only difference is if you compile before or after moving the files over
to the Windows VM. ;-)

Anyway, I agree that for an Xcode programmer the idea of just having a button in Xcode that cross-compiles to Windows might be attractive. I also agree with you that it would be nice for GNUstep to support that. :-)

If anyone's interested in working on cross-compilation from Xcode to GNUstep, I'd be happy to help and provide whatever support on the GNUstep building side that you may need. :-)

I personally don't find it interesting enough to take the project myself since - in my view - with virtual machines available, you can compile straight on your target host - cross- compilation is *so* last century in this context. ;-)

Thanks