Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)

From: TMC
Subject: Re: gnustep debian app developer env setup (help needed)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:04:35 -0800 (PST)

EL wrote:

> (1) Is there a source.list for all the base env packages that gnustep
> needed, so that I can keep updating gcc, gobjc etc along with gnustep
> updates?
> (2) Or maybe the way to go is to setup a cvs(svn?) access to check out the
> new releases and update gnustep?
> (3) Is there a check list for all the prequirement of gnustep?
>
> Any reasons to convince me that debian is better than other linux brands
> in developing gnustep apps? I see debian uses older kernels, older
> packages than some other linux.

I do not know of any such list, but most build guides will list
pre-requisites. Dennis Leeuw's [build guide][1] lists pre-reqs along with
install instructions. The Etoile team has a list of necessary [packages for
Ubuntu][2].

[1]: http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide/
[2]: http://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/trunk/Etoile/INSTALL.Ubuntu

Any Linux system is fine for GNUstep. In fact, most BSD's and Solaris are OK
too.

--Tycho Martin Clendenny