Re: autozone (Apple's Cocoa garbage collector) code opensourced

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: autozone (Apple's Cocoa garbage collector) code opensourced
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:53:00 +0000

On 17 Nov 2008, at 06:02, Krishna wrote:

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 1:01 AM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
<lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:

Some of you might be interested in this. AutoZone is Apple's garbage collector for Cocoa:

Is it a drop-in GC? I remember reading that it requires compiler
support for emitting write barriers etc.

It does, however clang will be emitting these automatically for the Apple runtime. Since clang has a very clean runtime abstraction layer, we can probably steal 90% of the code we need from Apple.

I don't really like the Apple approach, since it doesn't integrate with the retain / release mechanism and so needs every framework to be recompiled with GC support (and without for non-GC programs), which is okay for Apple but a huge pain for packagers on *NIX, but it might be worth supporting for people who want to port their code from OS X.

David