Re: gui 'slow' with remote X ?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gui 'slow' with remote X ?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:11:40 +0100

Hi,

I sometimes run remote applications over ssh and it seems GNUstep
applications are slower to draw their widgets than gtk ones. I just
tried GWorkspace and Nautilus and it's really obvious. It doesn't seem
to depend on the backend (art ou cairo) I use.

Am I the only one seeing this, a problem with my setup (X config) ?

Nice to see there is another user. FOr me, besides, GTK2 is slow too.
Cairo and Art are going to be slow. No work around. Try the faithful xlib backend, which I use regularly. It will be faster, since instead of shuffling bitmaps, it lets the server do the work, like font drawing. If you disable anti-aliasing and use the fonts available on your local machine (or have a font server) the speed increase will be very good. GWorkspace is ifne to use, as are text application, as is Gorm or ProjectCenter.

One thing will be awful though: scrolling. I think GNUstep is quite inefficient there, it makes a LOT of X11 calls, art is less affected when it uses xshm. On a slower machine you will see that X11 can sometimeseat up to 50% of your CPU for some operations..

Riccardo