Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: make sysinstall/Makefile.preamble/GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 07:44:04 -0600

I really disagree with these solution!  Every package I've ever built/compiled myself I had to specify where I wanted it installed (ie ./configure --prefix=/usr).  Like it or not, the convention on all Unices is that if a package is compiled and installed by the system admin it needs to go in /usr/local (LOCAL in out case) and /usr (SYSTEM) is reserved for packages that were installed by your distribution.

I understand that the people that have been using the GNUstep for a very long time are used to automatically installing it on SYSTEM, however, should "because I've always done it this way" really be a valid reason to go through all this extra complexity on the -make package?  I've been running into this at work for a while now "This was is better because we've been doing it for 20 years", and I'm still not convinced it's right.

In my opinion, if a particular package wants to install itself in a particular domain, it should configure itself that way, much like how ./configure --prefix=/usr does.  This should be a per-package configuration, -make should not have to worry where you want to install your packages just how to do it.

That's just my opinion on the issue.

Stefan