Re: libobjc issue

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: libobjc issue
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 07:56:30 +0000

On 4 Jan 2009, at 00:06, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Andreas Höschler wrote:

   fatal: libobjc.so.2: open failed: No such file or directory

I searched for libobjc on both machines. On machine A I get

   find /usr/local/lib -name "libobjc*"

/usr/local/lib/libobjc.so.2.0.0
/usr/local/lib/libobjc.la
/usr/local/lib/libobjc.so
/usr/local/lib/amd64/libobjc.so.2.0.0
/usr/local/lib/amd64/libobjc.so
/usr/local/lib/amd64/libobjc.a
/usr/local/lib/amd64/libobjc.so.2
/usr/local/lib/amd64/libobjc.la
/usr/local/lib/libobjc.so.2
/usr/local/lib/libobjc.a

On machine B I get

   find /usr/local/lib -name "libobjc*"

/usr/local/lib/libobjc.la
/usr/local/lib/libobjc.a

OK, what am I missing? I guess libobjc is part of the gcc build!? But
why does machine A has it in libobjc.so.2.0.0 form and machine B not? I
have rebuilt gcc on machine B multiple times, but no avail. Any idea
what went wrong?

You seem to have libobjc only build statically on machine B, you will
need a dynamically version of that library for GNUstep (at least in the
standard setup). Just rebuild this library and things should be fine.
(There is an updated version of the code in the GNUstep repository, but
the one delivered with gcc might do)

I think the key observation is that only static libraries are built.
This almost certainly means that you used different options for 'configure' with gcc on the two different machines. You need to do a configure with '--enable-shared' to get the shared library built.\