Re: OpenGL sample code on Linux

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: OpenGL sample code on Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 01:16:10 +0100

Clemens Arth wrote:
> I've tried to implement the OpenGL example in Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa
> Programming book (chapter 33) in gnustep. Unfortunately I couldn't get
> it to work - the window doesn't show anything.
>
> Can someone provide me with a small simple OpenGL example in gnustep? I
> couldn't find anything useful googling...

An example for OpenGL usage with GNUstep can be found in the myGL
project in the gui samples (devmodules/usr-apps/examples/gui/MyGL).

But I just tested that and it seems to be broken. Most likely the whole
OpenGL code in GNUstep has bit rotted. This may be due to the changed
visual selection in GNUstep, we now try to get the best possible visual.
Somebody with a little bit more OpenGL knowledge should look into this.
The only thing I can suggest to verify this suspicion is hack into
bestContext() in back/Source/x11/context.m

Fred

PS: Just tried the gnustep-gears example and it has the same problem.