Re: Building on OSX

From: Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
Subject: Re: Building on OSX
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:41:20 +0100

Hi again,

Adam Fedor escribió:

On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:34 PM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz wrote:

HI all,

I can't get GNUstep builded on OSX.

I would like to eliminate the actual broken installation of GNUstep on my system, and start the process of building again but installing with gnuste-startup and on $home.

Somebody can tell me if to clean the installation, remove GNUstep folders under /Library/System is enough?

It depends on how you installed GNUstep before. If the previous install is in /Library/GNUstep, then you can just remove that, or if you intentionally put it somewhere else, remove that.
Well, I can't remember after many attempts. But, I think, I tried to build first, and I got a lot of errors, and isntalled updated packages from macports, and builded the others. I readed about GNUstartup can install GNUstep at $home directory, and, I thought at home directory could be more easy to maintain. It suppose, I have all installed, but I'm getting errors buildnig ProjectCenter, or Ink for example. Ink, gives me an error, "can't found /common.make". I searched and found, thath is needed to call GNUstep.sh, and I did it, and $(GNUstep_Makefiles) (i don't remember exactly) is set to the correct path, but still with the same error on each make.

I have it now on my Windows box at office without troubles (well, some errors to build from ProjectCenter, and I can't use '[' or ']' and some characters using AltGR, or copy paste....but at least I can make from msys shell and use Vim at the moment), and I would like to have it at home too for continue my learning process :(

There are two ways to install GNUstep. If you just configure and install the packages as is, they are compiled and installed to work with Apple's Cocoa libraries.
I tried this first, but I got a lot of errors. Sorry, I can't remember it. I will try it again when back to home, once GNUstep folder is deleted. The correct build/install is gnustep-(make), (base), (gui) and back, in this order, right? and then, startup is not needed in OSX?

If you use gnustep-startup, they are compiled to be stand-alone (i.e. separate from Cocoa). FYI, GNUstep will compile on 10.5, but it won't work, AFAIK.
DOH! If don't work, then I don't need this. Obviosly, the idea is share code between
my Windows <-> OSX machines.

Cheers.

Note: I'm writing to the correct maillist? There are some days I didn't get any response to my noob-mails (I'm being ignored :D ). should I write to help maillist better?