Re: GNUstep from SVN & permissions

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep from SVN & permissions
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:47:39 +0100

I'm not sure I understood the question. The wiki page you refer to is empty. ;-)

Anyway, the way it generally works when you install from sources/SVN is:

1. get the source code and unpack it in your own directory as your own user

2. for each part of it, you need to do stuff like

cd core/make
./configure
make
su -c 'make install'

cd core/base
./configure
make
su -c 'make install'

So, yes, /usr/GNUstep will be owned by root and only root can write to it. That's
a standard Unix setup.

You can obviously reduce security on your own machine if you want - in exchange for ease of use. Eg, create /usr/GNUstep owned by your own user before you even start the process, then do 'make install' as yourself all the times. I mean, you could
even install everything into ~/GNUstep-installation, which is a setup
I personally like and is reasonably secure since nobody but myself/ yourself has
access to that directory anyway.

That would work except for /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf that needs to be installed as root (unless you also relocate that one into /usr/GNUstep or ~/ GNUstep-installation,
which is possible by using a gnustep-make configure switch).

If you're confused I suggest you stick with the standard, secure, Unix setup. But yes, you'll be
typing a few root passwords. :-)

Thanks