Re: no log output to console on Windows?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: no log output to console on Windows?
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 18:16:24 +0100

jra wrote:
> I'm working with GNUstep on Windows XP (I used the latest Windows
> installer). I put together a little app and its working ok. I put in
> some NSLogs and did not see any output in the console. I then put in
> printfs, and then fprintfs, and still nothing. What is the trick? How
> do I get/see output to std*?

I don't know about the output to stderr and and stdout, but the one from
NSLog gets redirected to the Windows event log. You have to start the
event viewer and will find the messages there.
When running under a debugger the output should go to the terminal in
which the debugger is running.
The reason for this behaviour is that on Windows you normally don't have
a terminal to display the output, so it is better to put it somewhere else.
We also put out messages via OutputDebugString, so you would be able to
run a program to listen to that source. Sorry, my Windows programming
experiance has faded a bit over the years, I cannot remember how the
program for that was called, but it is one of the standard development
tools on Windows.

Fred