FOSDEM

From: address@hidden
Subject: FOSDEM
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:41:04 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

Many thanks to Lars for the organization efforts and to all the presentors for
their talks.

I found the FOSDEM staff most helpful for the rooms and projectors, but will
add to my list of things to bring one or
two extension power cords (either to charge up laptops or to allow those who
need to finish their talk preparations
discreetly in the back of the room).

The food and drinks were pretty well organized for what appears to be an ever
growing annual event. They estimated
over 5000 persons came to FOSDEM this year.

I had brought some power adapters but no one asked. We did need a mini DVI to
VGA adapter for Macs though and had to
transfer presentations to another machine instead (glad I brought my USB key).

I found the housekeeping at the Argus Hotel this year not up to par. One person
wanted to change their room because
they had been woken up by rowdy partymakers on Friday night. I was luckier.

There is another hotel (I was there last year) named NH about 3 minutes walk
from the Argus, which was 10 EUR more
and much more comfortable. Maybe we can try to negotiate better terms and free
wifi for GNUstep developers with them
next year?

I was happy to shuttle various persons to and from FOSDEM as I had come by car.
The taxi services were a bit
overwhelmed on Saturday evening.

I missed the Etoilé folks and hope they can make it next year. Thanks to David
Chisnall for his remote video
presentation. We definitely need some extra speakers for future remote video
presentations though.

Sebastian's idea of a presenter to introduce the speaker is a good suggestion.

Overall, I felt it was a good event. I look forward to meeting again next year.

Thanks,

Gerold