Parallel Compilation with gnustep-make

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Parallel Compilation with gnustep-make
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:58:47 +0100 (CET)

In gnustep-make trunk I added support for parallel compilation.  If a piece of
software
(eg, and application, bundle, tool or library) is created by compiling and
linking
a number of source code files, gnustep-make can now compile them in parallel
for speed.
:-)

The existing gnustep-make API and functionality is entirely unchanged and I
hope most
GNUmakefiles will work under parallel compilation with no changes. :-)

I would be grateful if people could try it out and report issues :-)

Once you have installed gnustep-make from trunk, you can try compiling your
own favourite project in parallel by using --

make GNUSTEP_MAKE_PARALLEL_BUILDING=yes -j4

(use whatever -jN flag you want, eg, use -j2 to parallelize less)

(sorry for the need to use GNUSTEP_MAKE_PARALLEL_BUILDING=yes, it's because it's
experimental code - if it works well we can make it the default and remove the
need
for that additional variable)

If you try it out, let me know how it goes. ;-)

Thanks