Re: some general questions regarding gnustep-gui programming

From: hns
Subject: Re: some general questions regarding gnustep-gui programming
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 23:51:43 -0800 (PST)

> Also in SimpleAgenda, the Preferences controllers window is just only a
> NSPanel, whereas I use a NSWindow. Both work fine, I see no obvious
> differences, so here is a second question, what are reasons to choose
> NSWindow, or  NSPanel to implement any window besides the main app window?

What do you mean with "only" a NSPanel? Is it "less valuable" to you?

In fact NSPanel is a NSWindow subclass. So you have *more* options and
display styles to define.

But some defaults are set differently (e.g. some window stacking,
handling of automatically becoming the keyWindow, being tracked in the
Windows menu etc.). So I would recommend to use NSWindow for all
documents (because they appear in the Windows menu) and NSPanel for
all popups with an more or less explicit Close button or for inspector
type panels...

Nikolaus