Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009

From: Xavier Glattard
Subject: Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:50:38 +0100

Adam Fedor a écrit :

On Mar 10, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Xavier Glattard wrote:

I don't know what are the requirements for mentors, but I would be glad to help and take care of one small project :)

A big factor in how many students google gives us is the number of students who apply to work with us, so the more ideas and more advertisement we get, the better chance to get more students and more work done.

So i just have to add my name and (many) ideas in the lists ?

I don't live in a big city. I can think of 2 or 3 tiny computer engineering schools nearby (less than 100km). Around 100 students. I don't expect many of these students would apply to work on GNUstep.
Do we have to rely on Google for advertisement ?

As I'm working on gscoredata I can submit some ideas about it. Some of the already submitted ideas will still apply after my work. http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Summer_Of_Code_Ideas
- SQLite, XML, binary, etc. NSPersistentStore subclasses
- improve DataBuilder.app
- file formats compatible with Cocoa, including model.

About the backend :
- unified backend : Windows and X11 backends share a lot of
    functionalities...
- Cairo/Glitz/OpenGL backend : needs some work on Glitz I'm afraid
- Cairo/DirectFB backend : someone posted here about that some
    months ago

About AppKit:
- NSMovie/QTMovie class based on vlc or other...
- NSOpenGLPixelBuffer class

Does GAP stand for "Application project" ? Does that mean that any GNUstep/Cocoa based project could be submitted ? And not only GNUstep specific.
- new 3DKit
- multiplatform OpenGL extensions API (glu-like)
- multiplatform HID API : joystick...
Or any graphic or gaming related project in which some students will surely be interested.

Some open source Cocoa applications might be ported to GNUstep:
- Vim GUI : two cocoa-based gui projects already exist
- Mozilla Gecko : many cocoa projects
- OpenOffice : released some week ago
- VLC
- NetHack3D
http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?CocoaOpen
http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/apps?sub=100&t=1&s=on

If there is no objection I will soon add these ideas in the list.

- Regards
-- Xavier