About Preferences, Palette and Inspector Windows and Model/View Archite

From: Fred Morcos
Subject: About Preferences, Palette and Inspector Windows and Model/View Architecture
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 14:49:54 +0200

Hi all,

I have been looking around and reading about the OpenStep document
architecture for about 2 to 3 weeks now. I don't seem to understand
some specific stuff, basically, single-instance windows like the
Preferences dialog, Inspector and Palette windows. I looked at Gorm's
source but I still can't figure it out. What I have right now is a
Preferences dialog that is yet another "NSDocument" in the application
(basically I can open up several Preferences dialogs which is a bad
thing). This is due to the AppController loading the Preferences
window through [NSBundle loadNibNamed:owner:] so there is no control
over the number of windows that can be loaded except with bad/dirty
static counts. Same thing with Palette and Inspector windows. Any
pointers, tutorials, docs for this? Same thing goes for
multiple-window documents.

Also, I would like to separate my application into a lib and app. What
does a Framework (for the lib part) offer over a normal shared
library? Also, how can that be done in GNUmakefile where app depends
on lib? It works fine if I install the lib then build the app and
install it... which I wouldn't want the user (nor me) to do.

Would Distributed Objects be useful for a plugin architecture?

Thank You and Best Regards,

--
Fred Morcos
http://fredmorcos.blogspot.com/