newbies would have a lot of questions with gnustep environment

From: ???|??
Subject: newbies would have a lot of questions with gnustep environment
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:25:09 +0800

Hello. I just started to try GNUStep as an ordinary usre and my head is
suddenly full of questions that doesn't seems to be obviously available on
the Internet or manual.

* How can I hide the .dot files in open document dialgue?
* GWorkspace have a  dock (default on center-right) similiar to wmaker's
(default on lower-left), are they duplicating functions? Do I need only one
of them and disable another?
* Both GWorkspace and wmaker seems to wish to manage sessions (one has
"logout" and the other has "Exit Session" in the menu, you have to quit both
to logout), who really should be responsible for session management?
* sometimes application menu (on the upper-left cornor) overlap each other,
is it intentional? e.g. in my case aclock menu float above maximized Firefox
makes me not possible to click the minimize button on upper-left corner of
the window.
* I am interested in NoteBook.app but it is not in the Debian repository,
how can I compile from source? (Makefile or ./configure doesn't exist.)
* remote X11 connection seems slow using GNUStep applications, does it talk
to X Server more than those made using other widgets (gtk or qt)? If so, is
video hardware performance a key factor for display of GNUStep applications?
* the GWorkspace user's guide recommend launching application using file
viewer by entering "System/Applications", which doesn't exist on my Debian.
How can I start an application using GUI? Currently I start everything from
Terminal.
* how can I start non-GNUStep applications, like GIMP? They seems not have a
shortcut in "System/Applications" when I read the Gworkspace manual;
* how do you usually doc shortcut to applications? I too easily used up all
space on left & right edge because of the big icons. There seems just no
space for everything like shortcuts (docked icon perhaps), dock of
GWorkspace, menus, window list (on lower-left edjge) and applets (like
aclock) when I added just as half as much things I added to gnome;
* how do you use "minimize" and "hide" for efficiency? When do you want to
hide and when do you want to minimize
* there are only a few people on freenode.net #gnustep, where do people
usually talk about it?

Final one question: I don't know how to start all these questions instead of
just throwing them all at once to the list. Is there a book or tutorial that
focus on addressing most issue for newbie?