Re: Window managers ( was Re: newbie question )

From: hns
Subject: Re: Window managers ( was Re: newbie question )
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:11:30 -0700 (PDT)

> I'd like to eventually move to XCB for this, initially as an option
> and then as the default.  XCB is a small fraction of the code size of
> xlib (around 10%, less if you don't use many extensions, since they
> are all in separate libraries) and so it is a much better choice for
> small systems.

Here some real library sizes from the Neo Freerunner (arm-angstrom-
linux-gnueabi):

libX11.so.6.2.0   1 MB
libxml2.so.2.7.2  1,1 MB
libcairo.so.2.17.5  400 kB
libc-2.6.1.so   1,1 MB

Here the mySTEP versions (I am not sure if stripped or unstripped -
but for Obj-C you can't strip too much):

Foundation.so   3,7 MB
AppKit.so   5,6 MB
Simple WebKit.so  1,3 MB

-- hns