Re: xim doesn't work (scim)

From: Omniscient
Subject: Re: xim doesn't work (scim)
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:34:36 -0700 (PDT)

On May 4, 11:46 pm, Zhang Weiwu <zhangwe...@realss.com> wrote:
> Checken & egg problem. If you don't offer applications why people want
> to type Chinese into your applications?

Well, that's why I think it should focus on application developments
that actually create revenue. People would prefer more to type
anything
into an application if the act of typing give them some money.
Once we have money, we can buy more attention from i18n coders et al.

> Can you explain further why you think DTP is an area that benefits from
> GNUStep design? I happen to be quite used to existing DTP solutions thus
> want to know the details, if GNUstep is really well designed, how can it
> help DTP workers?

Since GNUstep's whole display system is all done in vector based, it's
pretty
easy to provide WYSIWYG from the widget level, eg. you print a widget
you get
a 1:1 postscript. It's text system is also very powerful and very well
designed
and can be rotated by any arbitrary degrees, pretty fit into DTP
requirements
by that it could allow better integration and interaction between view
and model.

Raster graphics is another issue, though, but not that it's easier by
using other frameworks.

Be noted that in the DTP area I think it's quite a bit too late to
compete with existing FOSS
but it doesn't mean that it should not be done. Though, I think it's
better if people
join me building this serious 3D app/framework since unlike other
markets the 3D market
is more open for competitions.